Can't get NI Mate to work with Maya

Hello,
I’m having a bit of a problem with getting the NI mate plugin to work with my version of Maya, I have tried multiple times to put the plugin in the right spot (I even followed the youtube video). Every time I do though and then open Maya I search for the plugin to activate it, and Maya cannot find it. I’m not sure if its because of the version of Maya I am running or if its that I don’t understand where I need to put the plugin. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Hello!

Which version of Maya are you running?

The location for the script should be:

• Mac: homefolder/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya
  • Windows: c:/Users/youruser/My Documents/maya

Did the MEL command line instruction “NImateReceiver” print anything?

At the moment I am using Maya 2018, I did try to run it with Maya 2017 but still with no luck. I put the script in the correct spot on my Mac, and tried the MEL command, and it printed back # Error: file: /Users/Sudyn/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2018/prefs/scripts/NImateReceiver.mel line 3: ImportError: file line 1: No module named NImateReceiverForMaya #

This would suggest the “NImateReceiverForMaya.py” file is not in the scripts folder, or cannot be accessed. Could you verify the python file is also there? It should be in the same folder as the .mel file.

I got it, the NImateReceiverForMaya.py wasn’t in the same folder as the .mel. Thank you so much for all your help.

I found a new problem with the program. So Maya can now access it, but I don’t know how to stream the data from NImate over to Maya, I have hit the record button and activated the program in Maya but I still cannot get it to work like in the tutorial. I did see in the tutorial a tab was opened in Nimate that had a body and you could rename the shoulders and different joints, I cannot find that anywhere in Nimate. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You’ll need the skeleton tracker component enabled. Make sure the OSC is being outputted by observing the Log window with the “osc” checked to see outgoing OSC messages.

There is not an Autodesk folder in the preferences for me :frowning:
where should i put it?

According to Autodesk documentation the location on Mac should be /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Autodesk. Supposedly this folder is created when you first start Maya. If this folder isn’t created Maya probably had some error starting up. Which version of Maya are you using?