What Sensor Should I get?

Hi I am looking at getting started at with mocap via NI MATE but don’t have any sensor at the moment and need some advice as to what would be the best option for me.

I am running Blender on:
**iMac **(27-inch, Late 2013), 3.4GHz Intel Core i5, 24GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB.
I don’t have windows, so I am looking for something that is relatively hassle free for Mac.

I know the the current supported list is:

• Asus Xtion
  • PrimeSense Carmine
  • Kinect for Xbox 360
  • Kinect for Windows 1
  • Kinect for Xbox One
  • Kinect for Windows 2
  • RealSense F200
  • RealSense SR300
  • RealSense R200

But which one is best for mac?

I had originally thought that I would just buy a Kinect off VarageSale or Amazon but was surprised at how much they were going for, $250 + $80 adapter on amazon.ca. At that point I am thinking it might be better to just buy something newer (that might even have better specs)?

Edit: Just to add that I am primarily looking for full body tracking.

Kinect V2 or Asus Xtion 2 ( yes 2 ) if first edition is unavailable. 2nd edition has better specs than Primesense carmine 1.09 which is currently not in production

Thanks 6eye.

You are saying that the Asus Xtion 2 isn’t listed as supported but it still works? Thats good to know. How does it compare to the Kinect V2? Edit: any idea about even newer models?

Does anyone know how the setup is for the Kinect V2 on mac? I am having trouble finding anything overly useful on google. I am assuming I will need smoking of driver (or something like that) for it to work with NI MATE. Or does NI MATE take care of that and it is just plug and play?

We haven’t tested Asus XTion 2 with NI mate. It seems to output depth at the same resolution as Asus Xtion Pro Live, but its color feed is much larger. This might cause issues.

On Mac, you are probably best off with Kinect v2.

Ok, if Kinect v2 is recommended, does it matter if it’s the one for xbox one or for windows if it’s being used on a Mac?

Both can be used on Mac and Windows. Simply make sure you get the adapter cable for the XBox model.